Thursday, July 15, 2010

a Japanese supercar: Tommy Kaira ZZII

In my model car collection, I have cars from 6 countries, soon to be 7. I do not have any Japanese cars, and there are 2 reasons for this. The first is, the JDM cars from the 1990's I like such as the Supra Twin Turbo, NSX, RX-7 and Skyline R33 GT-R are all very hard to find for under $100. The second is, the most fascinating Japanese supercars...and not the Lexus LFA or Nissan GT-R...but instead rarer ones that were either concepts or only available in Japan...are unfortunately not to be found in my beloved 1:18 scale. My favorite of which is the Tommy Kaira ZZII.

Tommy Kaira is a tuner of Japanese cars such as the Subaru Impreza and Nissan Skyline. In 2001, they showed the world a truly exotic and beautiful car: the Tommy Kaira ZZII. Although powered by the same RB26 6 cylinder engine as in the Skyline R34, the ZZII was a true supercar that made even a V-Spec II Nür Skyline look tame. The engine was switched to the middle, and the power was cranked up to 542 horsepower. The ZZII had supercar performance to match that of the Lamborghini Diablo and other European exotics, with a top speed of 210 mph and a 0-60 time of only 3.3 seconds. Not to mention, it was one of the best looking supercars of the early 2000's. It was only going to cost only $100,000 or so, giving it extremely good value for money for a supercar that can go over 200 mph. Sadly, production never came to be and only one was made. It was painted in the best color for any supercar: blue. It is now in a museum in Tokyo. I so want a 1:18 model of this car!







Keep reading for more supercars I want to see in 1:18 scale, and pictures of my own...

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen this one before. It bears an amazing resemblance to a McLaren F1 from these angles, especially the second shot.

    ReplyDelete